Chocolate

WARNING!

CHOCOLATE for DOGS

Work has been done to show that chocolate can be dangerous for dogs. This will come as a surprise to some who feed their dogs chocolate but the evidence is difficult to ignore, in spite of its counter-intuitive nature.

The toxic dose of chocolate appears to vary from dog to dog but some estimates suggest that 150 g of dark chocolate could be lethal to a 20kg dog.

The damage is via the substance Theobromine.

While feeding chocolate in moderation may be acceptable, the only really safe advice is don't.

If your dog does take some chocolate, seek prompt veterinary advice. It may be that timely use of homeopathic Nux vomica might reduce the harmful effects and buy more time.